On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM, <fsbo.cons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thanks for the notes! The problem was that I was used to using
> tesseract on mac, which has a different install process (I believe) from
> ubuntu. I needed to compile it on ubuntu, which I think is possibly
> equivalent to installing the tesseract dev package?

Packager usualy split distribution files to several packages - comman are
2: "runtime" and "dev" You do not need "dev" package for running program
(e.g. tesseract). With this approach you can save a space for end users.

If you install tesseract from source you install everything (excluding
language data ;-) ): tesseract executable, tesseract library, tesseract
header files...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAJbzG8zq_xxPH-SOVbVMNTVBc%2BxO%3Dq5Q5s_LwbGp%2BaQ14q8fQw%40mail.gmail.com.