I have scanned some index pages that I would like to ocr for rapid
searching. I am using tesseract from the command line. The problem is that
tesseract ignores the whitespace between columns and merges everything
together, essentially fragmenting the contents. Using some debug output I
see that no "columns" are detected. Probably more important is that three
"blocks" are detected, one around the first and last line, and one
encompassing everything in between. Is there a way to train block
detection, or some parameters that I can tweak to optimize this?

I have attached the image merely as an abstract representation of the text
layout to show the types of columns I am dealing with. Ideally, it would
also be nice to know if tab stops can be trained and used to oneline each
individual topic, which I could do postprocess if I could get tabstops
printed.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/5b4800f9-cead-4959-9260-52e98ee596b7%40googlegroups.com.