Tesseract cannot rasterize PDFs. It is fairly straightforward to write a
PDF like does, but very complex to rasterize one.

Programs like OCRmyPDF (which I develop) use Ghostscript, Tesseract and
other tools to handle PDF to searchable PDF conversion.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/2dccb3d2-f45e-4f47-9d04-302814d7f4ce%40googlegroups.com.