jpn.config in langdata/jpn is loading jpn_vert as a sublanguage

tessedit_load_sublangs jpn_vert

You can try without that

Also look at the settings for jpn in training/language_specific.sh

You may need to change the following also ..

# The following fonts will be rendered vertically in phase I.
VERTICAL_FONTS=( \
    "TakaoExGothic" \ # for jpn
    "TakaoExMincho" \ # for jpn
    "AR PL UKai Patched" \ # for chi_tra
    "AR PL UMing Patched Light" \ # for chi_tra
    "Baekmuk Batang Patched" \ # for kor
    )

ShreeDevi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduUXiMCsyMXtaV-mBiq1E1OhJqV-obaMHLkizjnivUMtiQ%40mail.gmail.com.