That is a really old email regarding traineddata for 3.01.

You might get better results using the latest version of files from github.

On 12-Feb-2018 9:09 PM, <er.prashant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi..

can i get the box file for those tif files and trained data also for latha
font...

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 7:32:00 PM UTC+5:30, nkantan r wrote:

> hi all!
>
> i am surprised that no one replied on this subject in this forum, but not
> shocked as i find the interest level in tamil ocr is rather very limited;
> the real error on the above is that the "fullstop" in my training image is
> treated as zero; so the box file had "two" zeros but the number of unichars
> were not matching.
>
> while i have successfully trained tesseract (3.01) with suitable
> unicharambigs to generate the correct ocr for simple computer passages, i
> am keen on sharing some of my notes on the quirky (that is strange) ways
> the box files are used for training; though i have used my own traineddata
> for training pages of other fonts and even real fonts snapshots of old
> books, i will be using here in this thread the exisitng trained data
> initially.
>
> First thing to be noted by would-be trainers is never to use just letters
> in the image file; either clube two or three letter to form "word" like
> uneven spacing or use deliberately more spacing between letters; to clarify
> further, use அஆஇ   ஈஉஊஎ ஐ  ஒஓஔ instead of அ ஆ இ ஈ உ ஊ எ ஏ ஐ ஒ ஓ ஔ ஃ.  i
> donot know the reason for the same but a strange way of tesseract.
>
> i created a file called tam.latha.exp0.tif (from a snapshot of a pdf file
> of a text file name tam.latha.exp0.odt). This contains all the tamil
> characters latha font regular and 10 size, spaced out but presented in the
> alphabetical order. the file is enclosed below. i created the box file
> using the command below using the existing trained data:
>
> C:\indicocr\tesseract301>tesseract tam.latha.exp0.tif tam.latha.exp0 -l
> tam batch.nochop makebox
>
> the created box file is enclosed after renaming it as
> tam.latha.exp0.orig.box; (the reason for renaming is that i have edited the
> file). If any body opens the file in a box editior after renaming it to the
> orignal name, they will find the following:
> a) there is no blob corresponding to ஃ  and ஹ் in the first part; also the
> boxes are created in a sequence different from the arrangement of letters:
> அ, ஆ, இ, ஈ , உ, ஊ, எ, ஏ, ஐ, ஒ, க், ங். ............ெ  ஔ.
>  THAT IS THOUGH ஒ, ஓ, ஔ ARE IN SEQUENCE THE BOXES/BLOBS ARE CREATED IN
> DIFFERENT ORDER.  This wrong order happens only in the first part, the same
> set of letters are repeated in the bottom of the page and the BOXES/BLOBS
> are in same sequence.  I manually edited the box file. using jTess
> editior deleting the ஔ box and inserted boxes for ஔ and ஃ I also deleted
> irrelevant boxes aroung the vowel-variations. the edited file is enclosed
> below (tam.latha.exp0.box). Now that the box file is satisfactory, as seen
> in the jTess box editor, i attampted creating the tr file as below:
> C:\indicocr\tesseract301>tesseract tam.latha.exp0.tif tam.latha.exp0
> nobatch box.train
> Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.01 with Leptonica
> Page 0
> [...]
msgid/tesseract-ocr/c9230929-aa95-4cef-898d-d67fceb8a877%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/c9230929-aa95-4cef-898d-d67fceb8a877%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduVLU8dU5DxME_7d_k63_3Z3MiapPJ31ux7vHFSedTG8EA%40mail.gmail.com.