Nothing happens if I type in echo $TESSDATA_PREFIX

I thought about installing tesseract 4.0beta, is there a step-by-step-guide
how to do this? with brew install tesseract I cannot choose the version,
i.e. it's 3.05.01

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/93afc21e-5e17-469b-a5b4-52378c9ed926%40googlegroups.com.