I am working on character recognition at work so I can copy information
from tables in giant TIFF files and write a program that can automatically
use the information from those tables. The tables are computer-generated,
but the information is unavailable to me in any format besides TIFF. The
font is wonderfully consistent and relatively few characters are used, so
this should be a fairly easy task.

I have had mild success training Tesseract 3.05, but whenever I make the
box file for training, Tesseract combines vertical lines across rows into
one tall, skinny box. The errant box character value is always a tilde (~)
and the pixels are disqualified from being used in the correct letters. I
have attached a picture that should better explain my problem.

Is there a way to prevent this? I created a completely new language (not
.eng) for Tesseract with a box/tiff pair that did not include any of those
bars, but when I recreate the box file with the new language the tall,
incorrect boxes are still made.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron