>  Which traineddata (english) is installed when tesseract is installed
using the Ubuntu PPA

tessdata_fast

>   Is the Ubuntu PPA version in sync with the Github master branch?

Not necessarily. But  it should be pretty close, You can look at the commit
number and date in the files at ppa.

>  Which traineddata (english) produces most accurate results among the
three i

It depends on your requirement and the kind of images you are using.

If you need legacy model, then you have to use tessdata.

ShreeDevi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduV7QJZT5LAJoH-7txtVDc_rm6_Hs%3DmRCAcc6W9QJNLrqA%40mail.gmail.com.