Hi,

I have a similar situation, in my case I "just" need to identify/detect the
equation in the picture. I don't need to "read" it. Known the location is
enough for me, just like the paper you mentioned "A Simple Equation Region
Detector for Printed Document Images in Tesseract
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Zongyi_Liu/publication/261199419_A_Simple_Equation_Region_Detector_for_Printed_Document_Images_in_Tesseract/links/5c30524f458515a4c70d37d3/A-Simple-Equation-Region-Detector-for-Printed-Document-Images-in-Tesseract.pdf>".

However, it seems this feature is OFF by default as said in here ->
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tesseract-ocr/_V7pOll2kPo/JKkJGJMNqUAJ

Did you manage to detect the area of equations in a picture?

Kind regards,