On Jan 6, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Robert Moskowitz <r...@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 01/05/2014 04:04 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Robert Moskowitz <r...@htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> Just did a test and it failed.  :(
>>>
>>> I updated the firmware.  Rebooted twice.  Did NOT go into Bios setup.
>>> Booted the f20 x86_64 netinstal CD and it failed at the same point.  I
>>> copied all the logs and will upload them to bug 1047993.
>>>
>>> I rebooted with the f20 x86_64 LiveDVD, the efibootmgr -v showed no changes
>>> to the boot list; LAN is still removed. Did the steps that Chris requested
>>> and I doubt you will see anything in the dmesg reports which I will upload
>>> to 1047993.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to install x86_64 without efi?  I seem to recall some Bios
>>> settings about legacy efi?
>> Remind me, this is dualboot Windows and Fedora on this computer both on one
>> drive? Or just Fedora?
>>
>> If it's just Fedora, it ought to still boot even with the failed NVRAM entry
>> because the firmware should find bootx64.efi and use that, which I think is
>> a copy of grubx64.efi.
>>
>> If you must have dual boot, I think you're going to have to abandon grub and
>> look at rEFInd which can boot both Windows and Fedora without grub, and
>> without NVRAM dependency.
>>
>> Another possibility, is to "disable UEFI" which is a bad way of saying
>> "enable BIOS compatibility". But in that case, Windows must be reinstalled
>> because in BIOS mode it only boots from MBR drives, and in UEFI mode it only
>> boots from GPT drives.
>
> The drive I have been trying to install to just boots to grub> so there
> appears to be some things that needed to be done after the efibootmgr step.

Actually that's good news. I think the grub.cfg hasn't been created due to the
bootloader fail, it comes after efibootmgr which actually is probably a valid
anaconda bug/RFE if I'm right. It should create the grub.cfg before writing to
NVRAM, just in case we don't get a valid write to NVRAM, we could still boot.

Anyway, boot in rescue mode from DVD or netinst using the troubleshoot menu,
let it mount your partitions for you and then:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
exit
reboot

It should work now.

Chris Murphy