>we also have no data about the prevalence of weak passwords or attacks
>on default-configured Fedora systems

On my firewall system, /var/log/secure is larger than 300 megabytes
(less than one month of data), most of it reports of failed login
attempts to root.  I am very careful about passwords on this machine.

Some of the security companies operate "honeypot" machines, and may have
interesting numbers about ssh attacks.  Red Hat probably also has data
about unwelcome attempts to access its systems.

Like some other security issues, it is as much about psychology as it is
about code.  However elegant the software technology may be, its value is
small if users pretermit its use.

Aside from the usual problems with strong passwords, the problem I see is
that the user who changes the root password does not think about ssh
attacks.  If some ssh configuration change is needed to permit root
login, at least we have some reason to believe the risk has been
evaluated.