On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 21:07:19 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:

> On 3/20/15, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > We need to let those
> > hundreds or thousands of people running with updates-testing to install it
> > as well, and give it the invisible thumbs up, which is not present in bodhi,
> > but which is expressed by the lack of critical issues reported in bodhi,
> > bugzilla or on mailing lists. And the best way to achieve that at the moment
> > is to make the updates sit it updates-testing for at least a certain time.
>
> I doubt if these hundreds or thousands of people are already
> registered yet in FAS.
>
> But I agree with you.

I think you've misunderstood the "invisible thumbs up" in above paragraph.
It refers to the unknown number of users of the updates-testing repo, who
are _potentially_ affected by a test-update because it's a package that's
installed on their machine as a strictly needed system component. It's
something they don't know whether/when/how it is used, but it's likely that
it's used somehow. They don't know either how to test the changes
introduced by the test-update. So, these people would not rush into bodhi
with a "+1" that claims the test-update is fine for everyone else, but
they are prepared to report any oddities they find => which can be much
more important when it helps with withdrawing a test-update that's bad
_actually_.

Reporting crashes via ABRT or manually in bugzilla does not need an
account in FAS. Better, of course, is negative feedback in bodhi
(especially for those maintainers who don't pay much attention to
bugzilla).

Lots of test-updates become stable updates either with or without positive
feedback from any testers. That turns many Fedora users into consumers of
test-updates, just that they get them only when they appear in the updates
repo.

A fresh example of how the testing process has failed completely for F20
and EPEL 7 is this "exaile" ticket:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1203573#c3

No positive feedback from any testers. No bugzilla tickets linked from
within the bodhi ticket, so the bug reporters have not been notified about
this version upgrade and have not been given a chance to evaluate it.