On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:21:55 -0700
Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 16:27 +0300, Pavlo Rudyi wrote:
> > On Tue, 2016-06-28 at 16:58 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> > > Well the server is also open source, so sure, you could make a
> > > private
> > > hosted server. Of course you will need to set it all up, have
> > > enough resources on the server to run it, have enough bandwith,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > kevin
> > >

> > Can we have one private hosted server on Fedora Infrastructure for
> > the meetings?

Short answer: not quickly.

Long answer: We have a pretty limited amount of sysadmin cycles, and we
are pretty darn busy keeping all the things we have now up and working,
so we don't want to just add services at the drop of a hat.
The two paths I see for a thing like this:

1. We could stand up a cloud instance and let interested people setup
the service and get it all working and that would be minimal impact on
the rest of infrastructure. However, this service could be down anytime
we do maint on the cloud, if it had problems it would be up to the
people who set it up to fix it, wouldn't be monitored or backed up,
etc.

2. We could make it a fully supported service. This path starts by
people packaging up all the server bits and getting them approved and
in Fedora/EPEL. Then we stand up a staging instance do a bunch of stuff
to add HA and monitoring and get everyone up to speed on how to support
it, make sure there's many more than 1 person around who knows it, etc.
Basically our Request for Resources process.

> Is it really necessary? We haven't even run one meeting yet, and in
> any case, it's not as if we're going to talk about anything terribly
> secret, so what's the problem with using the public hosted server?
> Perhaps we can just use meet.jit.si or hangouts for the first meeting
> and if we wind up doing a lot of these video/voice chats we can
> consider whether we need to request Fedora infrastructure for them...

Right. I am not sure what the concern here is with using the provided
service. ;)

We used to run a asterisk service. It ended up getting about 2-3
calls... a month, and some of those were admins testing that it was
working. So, we dropped it, since that was a very inefficient use of our
time. (The orig folks who set it up left, we had to keep maintaining
packages for it and updating things for security issues all the time,
etc).

Anyhow, thats pretty long winded, but basically I agree with Adam. ;)

kevin