On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:02:09AM +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > But all of that above is a separate problem. What I'd like to understand
> is
> > why you think existing bugs should be treated differently from new bugs.
> > What is the rationale? And if you want to treat them differently, then
> how?
>
> I think they're *clearly* different when it comes to delaying the
> release. If a bug is not currently affecting anyone, delaying stops it
> from becoming a user problem. If a bug is already a user problem,
> delaying doesn't help those people — and just hurts everyone else who
> would benefit from the release.

I'd argue that it does help - the bug gets fixed. The cost is maybe
delaying the release (if the bug is accepted as a blocker way ahead of the
milestone), or surely delaying the release (if the bug is accepted as a
blocker close to the milestone). The alternative is rejecting the blocker
right off the bat, which means the bug maybe gets fixed.

However, I think I misread your comment. I believed you're proposing we
reject bugs existing in stable releases as blockers at any point of the
development cycle. But you seem to have suggested we do this only if
they're discovered very shortly before the milestone deadline. Is that
correct? If so, I'm sorry for the confusion. In this case, I don't really
have a problem with this - it's the same approach as for any other bug
discovered a few hours before release. The impact is taken into
consideration, the difficulty of the fix is taken into consideration, and
also whether it already affects stable releases is taken into consideration
(why not, sure). If the bug is not critical, it's either pushed to the next
milestone, or pushed to the next release. That makes sense to me. If this
is the way it's formulated, I don't have a problem with it.