On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There was a bug[1] filed recently that indicated that printing was
>> broken on certain printers. As a result of that discussion, it became
>> apparent that there was no criteria for printing to work at all, which
>> seems like an oversight.
>>
>> I discussed this briefly with Matthias Clasen this morning and he
>> agreed that this should be treated as blocking for Workstation.
>>
>> I'd like to propose that we add the following criteria to Beta for Fedora
>> 30+:
>> * Printing must work on at least one printer available to Fedora QA.
>> "Work" is defined as the output from the device matching a preview
>> shown on the GNOME print preview display. (Note that differences in
>> color reproduction are not considered "non-working".)
>>
>> and this to Final for Fedora 30+:
>> * Printing must work on at least one printer using each of the
>> following drivers:
>> (I don't know which ones to specify here, but we ought to try to
>> figure out a cross-section that covers a large swath of our expected
>> user base).
>
> I'm against this as a blocker for a number of reasons:
> * When we've tried to do hardware specific blocking at the time like
> dual boot with MacOS this has not worked well and the dual boot is
> testable with one piece of hardware
> * It's easy to do a zero day update or a standard update to fix it
> post release as doesn't affect the install path
> * We don't do it for other non critical hardware selections such as
> digital cameras, video cameras, and other such things
> * Hardware availability, I don't see blocking for one type of printer
> over another type is a good use of our time.

I think it's reasonable to block on some really basic aspects of
printing breakage, like not being able to print to a PDF file, and
possibly being unable to print to the far simpler realm of IPP
Everywhere printers.

But model specific stuff. No way. I'd be generous with freeze
exceptions, but not blocking the release. I'm even on the fence if I'd
actually block on IPP Everywhere printing being broken. Once we're at
a blocker, do we have the resources to get it fixed within a few days?
If not, forget it. It can't be a blocker if we don't have the
resources to support fixing the blocker in a time escalated manner.

--
Chris Murphy