    > - [not really new] it's often annoying that the
    > default in dvips/config/config.ps is that dvips sends generated
    > .ps files directly to the printer

I agree, but this has been discussed on this list some years ago and
most people wanted the behaviour as it is now.

Now I have a texmf-local and a texmf-cnf directory outside texmf and
they are searched for before texmf.  Thus I have no problems when
upgrading teTeX even if I rename texmf to texmf-<version> before
installing a new release.

Other people probably install a new version over an old one and all
configuration files are overwritten.  At least texmf.cnf has an
interesting feature:

% original texmf.cnf -- runtime path configuration file for kpathsea.
% (If you change or delete `original' on the previous line, the
% distribution won't install its version over yours.)

Couldn't the other config files be handled in a similar way?
texconfig should then remove the "original" automatically if
s.o. changes the file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]