On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 12:32 , Luc Van Eycken wrote:

> Furthermore, you almost never need these high settings and thus a lot of
> memory is wasted.

In my experience this is not true. In my period pf supporting teTeX for
Mac OS X I have many times encountered people running against
limitations of smaller sizes. This is why my texmf.cnf as I ship it has
had increased sizes.

> If someone needs them for a special project, he can make
> his own texmf.cnf to increase the values.

This again might not always be simple. Mac OS X users normally are very
unix-unaware and are mostly better kept away from the command line or
from editing files like texmf.cnf. Besides, the same is true for people
on systems with your kind of memory limitations, tey can easily adapt
texmf.cnf too.

> On the other hand, if the default
> setting is too high, you can't even start tex for the most simple jobs.

This is true, however I think that systems having your kind of memory
limitations are greatly outnumbered by projects that require a lot more.

> Therefore, my suggestion would be to make the default extra_mem_bot
> minimal, e.g., 0. (Am I correct to assume that no other setting depends
> on
> its value?)

I cannot comment here. It all depends on what you consider 'working' for
a teTeX installation. That is different for everybody because it is
defined against what they actually do with TeX.