>What exactly are you trying to do?  (You would also do better asking
>this on the comp.text.tex newsgroup.)
>
>   Julian

Julian:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did post to that newsgroup and I got a couple of
tips.  But, there still seems to be something that's not quite right, perhaps it
has something to do with tetex.  What I'm trying to do is create a style for
statistical documents.  I have looked around, but it appears that such a beast
does not exist.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  But, here's what I'm doing.
Everything seems to work fine except my re-definition of \b.  Any ideas?

\ProvidesPackage{stat}[2002/11/12 v. 0.0 statistical primitives]

\let\oldequal=\=

\renewcommand{\=}{
    \ifmmode
        \overline
    \else
        \oldequal
    \fi
}

\let\ol=\=

\newcommand{\ul}[1]{
    \ifmmode
        \underline{#1}
    \else
        \b{#1}
    \fi
}

\let\oldtilde=\~

\renewcommand{\~}{
    \ifmmode
        \widetilde
    \else
        \oldtilde
    \fi
}

\let\oldhat=\^

\renewcommand{\^}{
    \ifmmode
        \widehat
    \else
        \oldhat
    \fi
}

\let\oldb=\b

\renewcommand{\b}{
    \ifmmode
        \underline
    \else
        \oldb
    \fi
}

\endinput

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do