Hello,

I'm experiencing yet another problem in new teTeX distribution.  Now my
documents with a lot of equations and footnotes look worse.  In all cases
when an equation is followed by a footnote, the free space between the
bottom of a formulae and the line separating text and footnote disappears.
The only way I can restore the good sight is to use old amsmath in
new teTeX.  Without amsmath the documents look ugly (you can play with
the example given below).

Is this a bug or a feature?  I've never noticed it before.

- Alexander

---------------------------
\documentclass{article}
\textwidth=100mm
\textheight=120mm
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\section{Example}

Now some space to demonstrate the problem.%
        \footnote{The distance between this footnote and formulae is
        different for new and old amsmath packages.}

\vspace{55mm}

Look at the distance between the equation and the line separating the
footnote and text. Make sure it is different for different versions
of amsmath and it looks ugly when using new version of amsmath (2.05).
If you don't use amsmath, the output is ugly too, so the problem
comes from core LeTeX files (LaTeX2e $<$99/12/01$>$ patch level 1).

The problem appears only when the footnote appears after the equation.
\begin{equation}
- \frac{d^2 \phi}{d x^2} = \frac{d{\cal E}}{dx} = \frac{4 \pi \rho}{\epsilon} =
\frac{4 \pi q}{\epsilon} \, [ p(x) - n(x) + N_d^+(x) - N_a^-(x) ].
\end{equation}
Is it a bug?

\end{document}