Hans Fredrik Nordhaug writes:

> 2) In the documentation for kpathsea (may-99) it says the one should use
>    a underscore (for portability), not a periode, in the definition of
>    inputs for the tex-family, i.e, TEXINPUTS_program.
>    This is not done in texmf.cnf, very wisely since all the programs
>    (as far as I have seen) use TEXINPUTS.program

>    Is this a typo in the manual or am I missing something?

Many systems do not support environment variables with periods in
their names.  Therefore where texmf.cnf uses periods in variable
names, you have to use underscores for the corresponding environment
variables.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.