stegic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i am new to this mailing list, and i was hoping for some *wise*
> input :o) i am about to install tetex on my redhat linux 6.1 box but
> not using the rpm manager -- a request from a colleague. i have two
> issues.
>
> 1. what does it mean to have tetex installed as one tree?

AFAIK, that would mean that all your tetex stuff goes in one place.
That directory and its subdirectories are the "tree".

The rpms put stuff in /usr/bin, /usr/include, /usr/info, /usr/lib,
/usr/man, and /etc/X11/wmconfig in addition to the tree that is
/usr/share/texmf.

> 2. to disable multi-platform support, is it enough for me to put the
> binaries in teTeX/bin and not teTeX/platform/bin, or do i need to do
> anything _special_ in addition to that ? ive been asked to do this
> installation, and i am not sure about what "platform/bin" actually
> means.

You should check out the documentation.  Go to the directory where you
are building tetex and look for files named README and INSTALL.  Read
them, and then type "./configure --help", and read that.  You'll see
an option to configure that turns off multiplatform support.

Then, when you do a "make install" later, there won't be any
platform-specific directories.  "platform/bin" just means that there's
a directory with your system's name, like "linux-i386-gnu" or
"solaris-2.5" or something (can't remember specifics).

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/