    > [...]
    >      One problem with your method is that it turns

    >   He said "no"!

    > into

    >   He said ``no``!

No, it doesn't.  Punctuation marks usually have \catcode 12, not 11.
It should even work if they are active.  Problems arise, for instance,
when the quoted text begins with a number rather than with a letter.

    >      I prefer to let my text editor do the work.

This is the better way, I think.

Regards,
   Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]