I write letters using dinbrief.sty.

Now I discovered that when I produce postscript files of my letters
to send them as faxes it makes a difference if dvips is configured
using a4 or A4 as format.

Using A4 hylafax supresses the header of the letter.
Using a4 the fax looks same as viewing it with ghostview.

I usually don't fax control faxes to myself so this missbehavior
is hard to discover.

I looked at the differences in the postscript files and found
they are the same as in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps.

This is the sequence a4 that works ..
..
..
%EndDVIPSBitmapFont
end
%%EndProlog
%%BeginSetup
%%Feature: *Resolution 600dpi
TeXDict begin
%%BeginPaperSize: a4
a4
%%EndPaperSize

%%EndSetup
%%Page: 1 1
..
Here follows postscript code containing the header text of my letter.

This is the  sequence using A4 that makes the
header of the letter  disapear if faxed with  hylafax but not if
viewed with ghostview or printed by the  postscript  interpreter
of my laserjet.

..
%EndDVIPSBitmapFont
end
%%EndProlog
%%BeginSetup
%%Feature: *Resolution 600dpi
TeXDict begin
%%PaperSize: A4

%%EndSetup
%%Page: 1 1
..
Here follows postscript code containing the header text of my letter.

What these two versions a4/A4 are good for and are there
any other differences to be aware of ?

Is both 'valid' postscript or is hylafax too intolerant in interpreting
the code ?

--
Klaus Dittrich

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]