Hello all lovers of nice documents ;-)

The subject says it all.  When I start pdflatex it answers with an error:

    > pdflatex testltx
    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
    (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

after rebuilding all formats (fmtutil --all) and the same error I used
strace and discovered that the format loaded was "latex.fmt" ...

More confusing:

    > pdflatex
    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
    **testltx

works as expected and uses pdflatex.fmt.  Also pdfelatex works fine ...

I am using

    teTeX-1.0.7 (teTeX-texmf-1.0.1)
    linux 2.2.14
    gcc-2.95.2