We have had TeX running here for years but it was a non-standard installation and I
decided to install TeTeX instead.  I have to do it on 7 different Unix platforms and
lots of different machines and I want to have it all on one disk and I will mount that
disk onto all the different machines.

I started out with installation on a DEC Alpha machine. I decided to us the
precompiled binaries which really goes against my grain because I like to know exactly
where everything is so I can make changes and additions easily.

I did the manual install so that I would know where everything is.  I chose to make
/stuff/TeTex the top of my tree and put everything under that.  The install seemed to
go ok.

I have several questions:

1.  Right now, the fmt files are in /stuff/TeTex/share/texmf/web2c.  However, fmt
files are specific to a platform.  If I want to mount the same disk on all machines,
the fmt files must be in separate directories the same way that the binaries are. What
is the simplest way to do this?  I can create something like /stuff/TeTex/formats and
give a different directory to each platform.  Then I can tell everyone how to set the
TEXFORMATS variable but I'd rather have it all transparent to the user and not make
them issue am=ny commands.
texmf.cnf also sits in a common directory so I can't figure out how to indicate there
where the fmt files are.
I'm open to any suggestions.

2.  One of the things I did with texconfig was to change the mode to ljfive.  When I
run dvips I keep getting messages:
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfive --bdpi 300 --mag 1+60/300 --dpi
360 cmr10
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfive and resolution 300; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: /var/tmp/texfonts/pk/cx/public/cm/cmr10.360pk already exists.

Where is getting that the bdpi (whatever that is) and resolution is 300.  If I
specified ljfive shouldn't it use a resolution of 600?  When I look in
.../texmf/dvips/config/config.ps it says that the default resolution is 600:
D 600
X 600
Y 600

How do i fix this?  When I run xdvi, I do not have such a problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Malki Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel 76100
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]