> I've recently built (a number of times) teTeX-1.0.7 (with update 001 and
> update 002) on a new Solaris 2.8 system (with numerous patches) using GCC
> 2.95.2 built on the same system.  The configure and compilation step
>       Running mf to create plain base ...
>       Bus Error
>       Running mpost to create plain mem ...
>       Bus Error

Exactly happended on earlier Solaris releases with gcc versions 2.95
and 2.95.1. The reason was an problem in the gcc optimizer. Compiling
mf / mpost w/o optimization has helped. I guess that there is some bug
in gcc 2.95.2 on Solaris 8, too.

Workarounds:
  - compile with less optimization
  - use a different compiler