Howdy Thomas and Group,

I am about to start on an update/upgrade of teTeX on a UNIX file server and
would like to get thoughts on a TDS question that I have been mulling for a
long time.

Assume that one has a teTeX installation. Over time some of the packages
(amstex, aastex, etc) are updated by their maintainers such that I need to
replace the existing versions that came with teTeX. What is the tradition or
general practice:
- replace in the existing main texmf tree?
- remove from the existing main texmf tree and replace in the local branch, in
our case
   /apps/teTeX/jilatex/...
as opposed to
   /apps/teTeX/texmf/...

The same question applies to general use packages that are standard and
available on CTAN, but not necessarily part of the teTeX distribution. In which
branch should they go?

I can see various arguments for both options. What I am trying to achieve here
is to minimize the amount of re-installation of packages when I do an upgrade
to teTeX without damaging the default customs related to the TDS.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Alan Dunwell