    > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 02:03:35PM +0200, Enis Tuncer wrote:
    >> I am writing my thesis and using amsbook.cls. I can not get the
    >> subsections and subsubsections in contents page. Only chapter
    >> and sections are visible. In the *.toc file all the list
    >> (chapters, sections
    >>
    >> subsections and subsubsections) exist, however, not visible in
    >> the dvi file. Why? Any comment is welcome to solve my problem.

    > [...]
    > So what you want is to start your master .tex file something
    > like:

    > \documentclass[12pt]{amsbook}
    > \makeatletter
    > \c@tocdepth=3
    > \makeatother

Hi Greg,
I wonder that noone from the LaTeX team complained yet.

No "normal" user should need \makeatletter and \makeatother at all.
The LaTeX command is

\setcounter{secnumdepth}{3}

If there should be any need to use \makeatletter in a LaTeX main file
then you should probably report it to the LaTeX3 mailing list.  At
least in LaTeX3 \makeatletter shouldn't be necessary, neither for a
normal user nor for a documentclass designer.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]