> The background for this question is the following: At ZAIK/RRZk at the
> University of Cologne, we have two AFS-trees, one for writing and one
> for read-and-execute-only-access, the second being replicated from the
> first once per day. So installation has to go to the writable tree but
> execution and including of packages has to be done from the other tree.

So, just make sure that texmf.cnf has the right paths (most important:
TEXMFMAIN setting). Also mage sure that at compile-time the TEXMFCNF
path points to the place where the texmf.cnf file can be found at runtime.

The second thing can be done by changing "TEXMFCNF = ..." in
  texk/kpathsea/texmf.in

That's it.

Thomas