On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > It isn't hard to install a newer pdftex from source.  You can
>     > either replace your current versions or put the updated versions
>     > in a new place (e.g., /usr/local).
>
> I doubt that this works.  The reason is that both, the old and the new
> version will search for *tex.pool.  TeX is not designed for dealing
> with different versions to be installed at the same time.

If you have two versions of TeX installed in different places, you can
switch between them by changing the executable search path.  The default
is to find texmf.cnf relative to the binaries, so if you install
under /usr/local and add the binaries directory to your PATH variable
you will end up using the correct pool files.   If you want to go back
to the old configuration (e.g., because you have a large document
that would need changes to work with the new version) you just
set the PATH variable back.

You can also set TEXMFCNF to override the default (e.g., if you want to
use pdftex installed in a non-standard location, but keep the other
binaries from an earlier installation).

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Halifax, Nova Scotia