    > Dear Reinhard, Thank you very much for your help. I am not sure
    > what exactly I had to do in order to recreate the map files. At
    > any rate, I probably fixed the problem:

    > The file tipa.map already exists. It is in the distribution tar
    > file and sits now in the directory
    > /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config.

I suppose that you have installed all the tfm, type1, sty, fd files
correctly because you say that LaTeX works.  LaTeX uses the sty, fd
and tfm files.

Move to /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config and edit the file updmap.  Look
for extra_modules= and put tipa.map between the quotes.  Finally run
./updmap .  That should recreate psfonts.map, pdftex.map and ps2pk.map.

    > What I didn't realize was that the Makefile in the distribution
    > makes the implicit assumption that it is executed from the
    > directory /usr/share/texmf (in the case of Redhat linux with the

No, preserve the directory structure from CTAN and run make install
from the directory where the Makefile is in.

make doc assumes that you want to install the documentation manually.

After running make install, run mktexlsr (from any directory) and do
what I described above.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]