On Sunday 26 May 2002 07:50, Thomas Esser wrote:
> > 1. I can't get my path commands to stick. When I issue
> > export PATH=$PATH:/usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux
> > I have to reissue it each time I log in and sometimes more often. I have
> > issued this command as root, and the problem still wont go away;
>
> environment variables are only passed to child processes on UNIX, never
> to parent processes. Put this setting into your private ~/.profile or
> /etc/profile to make it permanent.

Because Idris S Hamid mentions he is using the SuSE distribution a better
place is IMHO /etc/profile.local. This file is as the names suggests should
be used for local changes and the file will be preserved in case of upgrading
the system to a new version. This is comparable to the use of the file
/etc/init.d/boot.local.

Best regards,

   Jos Winnink