On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, George Sicherman wrote:

> I often use chords with displaced notes; e.g., \rq{g}\zq{f}\qu{d}.
> When these notes are dotted, the dots on the displaced notes must be
> displaced, and so must the other dots, so that all the dots line up.
>
> To do this I use a macro of my own, \rpt, which is just a shifted \pt:
>
>       \def\rpt#1{\kern6pt\pt{#1}\kern-6pt}%
>       \rpt{d}\rpt{f}\rq{.g}\zq{f}\qu{d}\relax
>
> But this would be a useful standard feature for MusicTeX/MusiXTeX.

If I remeber well we discussed already once that point whether dots should
be lined up or not and came to the conclusion that it is more a question
of personal taste. At least there is no general rule (in earlier days the
dot was sometimes to be found at the place where the tied note replaced by
the dot would have been placed). I think we talked about it during the
discussions when Don improved PMX's automatical shifting of accidentals in
chord notes some months ago.

regards
  Bernhard