----- Original Message -----
From: "Pantelis Andreou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 6:16 PM
Subject: [TeX-music] Search Archive

> Hello,
> is it possible to search the free sheet music archive by instrumentation.
> Our summer string quartet sometimes is a trio or a duo and I would like to
> find pieces for 2 violins and viola, 2 violins and cello, violin viola
> cello etc.

I often encounter this problem too. The best source of information
I know is: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/webcat/

Click on "expert search" (top right)

Type "scores" in the "everything" field (to trim off recordings),
type "trios (2violins), viola" in the "subject" field,
Select "Music library" in the Search Limits, and launch "search catalog",
and you will get a fairly good approximation of the set of works
composed for this very group of musicians.

Of course, this doesn't guarantee that the works are accessible,
either for a free downlaod on the Web, or in paper edition.

I doubt the Stanford Library is willing to scan in all its musical
stuff, and post it on their web site afterwards :-) but I am very
grateful for their server.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Pierre Coulon                         E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur
Département FRESNEL, groupe ILGA
BP 4229
06304 NICE Cedex 4

Tel (33) {0}4 92 00 31 58   Fax (33) {0}4 92 00 31 38