[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>  >|Sources for this project are available at
>  >|
>  >|   ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/v1.6/
>
> The ftp.lilypond.org address is down.

No, it's not.

        meddo:~/usr/src/lilypond$ ping ftp.lilypond.org
        PING ftp.lilypond.org (131.155.193.59) from 131.211.80.91 : 56(84) bytes of
data.
        64 bytes from esac-pc.ele.tue.nl (131.155.193.59): icmp_seq=1
        ttl=247 time=4.68

        meddo:~/usr/src/lilypond$ ncftp ftp.lilypond.org
        NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
        Connecting to 131.155.193.59...

        ProFTPD 1.2.5 Server (Debian) [esac-pc.ele.tue.nl]
        Logging in...

        Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
        Logged in to ftp.lilypond.org.

        ncftp / >

>  >|Packages for Red Hat Linux 7.x/i386 are available from
>
> Unfortunately, not. The binary requires a more recent version of guile
> and you haven't provided an src.rpm of lilypond. Providing updated guile
> rpms doesn't help if installing them breaks existing packages.

Thanks for the tip. I've added the following explanation

****

These are binaries for LilyPond on RedHat 7.x.

The lilypond 1.4 RPM requires GUILE 1.3.4

The lilypond 1.6 RPM requires GUILE 1.4.

RedHat 7.x ships with GUILE 1.3.4 (a release which is over four years
old), so an RPM for GUILE 1.4 is included. Install it with

        rpm -U guile*.rpm

Installing it might complain about unsatisfied dependencies for
gnumeric and gnome-games. If you get these, you can safely ignore
them, and install with

        rpm -U --nodeps guile*.rpm

The GUILE RPM was taken from RedHat limbo beta2, and recompiled on a
RedHat 7.3 box by me. A source RPM is available from

  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/null/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

In the unlikely event that you use GUILE scripting in any form, you
will probably have to upgrade some packages manually.  LilyPond 1.6
uses features of GUILE 1.4 and can not be linked against stock RedHat
7.x (GUILE 1.3.4)

For instructions on building an RPM, please refer to the INSTALL document,

   http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/INSTALL.html

Have fun!

Han-Wen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]