Christof Biebricher wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I am in need of ornament fonts. The ornaments
> in the baroque were nationally quite different,
> e.g., England had special fonts for their shake.
>
> Many trills have complementaries at their end
> (a downturn, in German ``Nachschlag''). The French,
> e.g. Couperin, indicated them by placing a turn
> over the trill. Since the classical time it is usually
> written out.
> In the German baroque, most notably Bach, it is
> noted by placing the
> mordent dash at the end of the trill and it was
> possible to combine that dash with the trills having
> downturns at the beginning indicated by a hook
> ( which Bach called Doppel-cadence ).
> The musixtex package does not provide for these very
> frequent ornaments. Werner Icking substituted
> the long mordent (\Mordent) in contrapunctus 8 of
> the Kunst der Fuge because it looked somewhat similar.  I am
> working on improving and extending my
> Organ version as well as Werner Icking's Urtext and
> string editions and the introduction of a wrong ornament
> bothers me very much because the execution of both ornaments
> is totally different. Is there a possibility to get the
> correct ornament, either by getting the font from another
> program, by a TeX macro superimposing the stroke or by a
> font produced by metafont?

For my recently published typesetting of a lute tablature by Vincenzo
Galilei (see sheet music archive) I needed a set of tablature symbols
which I implemented using PsTricks macros. It's fairly simply but has
the disadvantage of being uncompatible with dvipdfm.

A more 'clean' approach would be to design the new fonts with METAFONT
(or METAPOST).

Bye
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus