Hello everyone,

Some two years ago, Werner Icking answered a question of mine on MuTeX
about how to indicate barre chord fingering in MusixTeX and provided a
hack (his own word) of the \Ioctfin* macros to create the horizontal
line that's needed for the purpose. Some time later, other readers of
this forum helped to adapt this hack to allow for a string number
instead of the barre chord symbol before the line. (The resultant
macros, plus usage examples, are in the attached file.)

The problem with these tricks is twofold:

 - You can only use them one at a time (at least, I've not been able
   to persuade a barre chord line and a string line to coexist in
   harmony)

 - Once you've input them into your source, you no longer have the
   option of indicating octaviation lines via the \Ioctfin macros.
   This is why I've hesitated to make my guitar fingering macros
   generally available up to now -- it seems somewhat unwise to let
   loose a MusixTeX add-on that torpedoes parts of MusixTeX's basic
   functionality.

My question for the TeXperts is this: Is there any way around these
limitations? With reference to the example extracts in the file, the
ideal situation would be to be able to combine 1, 2, 3 AND 4 (or at
least 1, 2 and either 3 OR 4), all in a single bar of music.

If a solution to this issue can be found, MusixTeX would be almost
100% capable of handling the needs of classical guitar scores, and I'd
finally be able to oblige Christian Mondrup and a couple of others who
have called for my fingerings file -- with credit given to all
contributors, of course -- to be made available on the Icking
Archive's software pages.

Eva

Downloadable guitar edition of J.S. Bach, Lute Suite BWV 995:
http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/scores/bach/bwv995/bwv995cg.pdf
--
"Your concert-goer, though he feed upon symphony as a lamb
upon milk, is no true lover if he play no instrument.