Stefan Svensson wrote:

This is completely off-topic, but I'd really like to get in touch with
someone that is familiar with arabic scales and tuning.

In an arabic pop tune by Amr Diab, the instruments (guitar and harmonica,
i e traditional western instruments) are tuned to 446 Hz instead of 440
Hz. This makes me curious about the idioms of tuning in the arabic world.

Some other music I have listened to do have completely different scales.
They are similar to the frygian scale (or whatever it is called in
english), but the 2nd and 7th tones are slightly lower.

Are there any good low-traffic (like this list) music lists where a
discussion like this would be more appropriate?

Did you consider subscribing to the USENET newsgroup rec.music.arabic?

BTW for early music 'freaks' I can highly recommend the corresponding newsgroup rec.music.early
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus