A while back, Bernhard Lang wrote

> I just checked a MusiXTeX file generated by PMX where I didn't ask for
> page numbers (that's PMX's default, you have to ask explicitely for
> page numbers). Close to the top of the file I see

> \input musixtex
> \input pmx
> \smallmusicsize%
> \nopagenumbers
>
> The \input pmx shouldn't hurt, anyway, \nopagenumbers isn't touched in
> pmx.tex,

correct.

> nor any command which controls page numbering--unless Don used
> some fancy tricks I missed when quickly scanning through the file.

Well I'm not sure I'd glorify it as "fancy", but there is a macro \toppageno
defined in pmx.tex, which PMX uses for inserting page numbers and optional
text into a header. In fact its pretty unfancy, because you have to perturb
it in order to get different header text on alternate pages.

--Don Simons