Hello friends.
Could anyone tell me what is going on? I use MusixTex but, I guess, in a
very simple way, actually, I use MusixTex inside Latex. I don't know nothing
about PMX or LuaTex etc; never heard about it. Could anyone tell me if
something good or bad is coming?
Regards,
Filipe

2010/11/16 Bernhard Lang <bernhard.l...@gmx.ch>

> Thanks Dirk to draw our attention to this new development. Such a major
> change--and it would be a major change--would perhaps also give opportunity
> to think about how to overcome some limitations to MusixTeX and friends
> which are due to its design. Quite some inline TeX coding could probably
> moved into the "primary language".
>
> Getting rid of a double pass system won't probably work because TeX itself
> relies on such mechanism. Typesetting is always recursive because some
> informations are not available before some important part of the typesetting
> has already been done. You can't for instance set page links before you have
> set all pages as to know what is going to be put on which page. But setting
> the links may also influence, at least on the scale of details, how a page
> or paragraph is set. The same is true for all the mutually aligned stuff in
> a score.
>
> The main reason for me for staying with MusixTeX (besides never to change
> something which is already up and running) is its outstanding graphical
> clearness concerning representation of rhythm. I think we cannot thank
> enough Don for implenting and maintaining PMX, which, as far as I can judge,
> does most of that miracle.
>
> Sometimes the limitation to 12 voices gets in the way and after being
> forced such way to use an alternative its always a pleasure to return what
> is graphically still the best being available. What is more, once used to
> the PMX/M-Tx language, setting a score in much faster than with any other
> system I know. There is as less overhead as possible though almost anything
> can be controlled.
>
> Bernhard
>
> On Nov 16, 2010, at 7:48 , Dirk Laurie wrote:
>

> > Recently something has happened to TeX that should change the way we
> > are thinking.  This is the fact that LuaTeX has reached Version 0.50.
> >
> > In theory, only people living on the bleeding edge use LuaTeX.  There
> > is a warning in the Reference Manual:
> >   Nothing is considered stable just yet. This manual therefore simply
> >   reflects the current state of the executable. Absolutely nothing on
> >   the following pages is set in stone. When the need arises, anything
> >   can (and will) be changed without prior notice.
> >
> > In practice, the bare necessities are not likely to change after 0.50.
> > I refer to the TeX command \directlua and the Lua function tex.print.
> >  \directlua takes one argument, a Lua script, which is executed
> >    immediately.
> >  tex.print takes one argument, a string, which is passed to TeX.
> > The net effect is that the command \directlua{...} acts much like a TeX
> > macro.
> >
> > Lua is a minimalist programming language: simple syntax, only eight
> > types (of which the casual user needs six: nil, boolean, number, string,
> > table, function), and 21 reserved words.   All arithmetic is in IEEE
> > double precision.  It has a string library with powerful pattern-matching
> [...]

Prof. Filipe de Moraes Paiva,
http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva<http://www.geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva>,
prof.fmpa...@gmail.com , fmpa...@cbpf.br
Departamento de Física, Colégio Pedro II - U.E. Humaitá II
*VIBRO KAJ VIVO* (*numero 3*)
http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva/vibrokajvivo<http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva/vibrokajvivo/numero-2/numero-2.html>
Grupo de Esperanto do Leblon
Orkuta "Komencanto de Esperanto"