I had already figured out that using \upz and \ust would remove the
restriction. But as it now stands, PMX assumes that when these ornaments are
used on single, up-beamed notes, by default they go below the notehead, so
it uses \lpz, \lst. I was hoping to address this "feature" without
reprogramming PMX. But I guess that's not possible, since (as Bob implicitly
suggests) if single, up-beamed notes appeared above the staff, there would
be ledger lines to be avoided.