Starting with Olivier's fine example, I've tried to strip this down to basics,
but only with partial success. I'm looking for a general set of inline TeX
commands that will let you stick a gap in any system on a page in a PMX score.
Here's my PMX file as it stands, using Dieter's original example score, sans
lyrics. You can see that for the system in question you need 3 sets of inline
commands: at the start, the gap, and the end. It still has three problems: (1)
the vertical spacing between systems in messed up; (2) there's a huge
extraneous  horizontal space near the start of each of the two systems after
the one with the intended gap, and (3) the bar numbers are messed up. I'll keep
playing with this, but meanwhile can any of you TeXperts sort it out???

--Don Simons