Based on recent list postings, I'm considering implementing staff gaps in
PMX. (Since the need is so rare, this is mainly an intellectual challenge).
It would use psframe from pstricks, to paint a white box from one barline to
the next, covering the full height of the system. The psframe construct
requires the use to select an insertion point and to designate the vertical
and horizontal distances from that point to the lower left and upper right
corners of the box. In the example I used as the insertion point the first
default musixtex position after the left barline, and I got the relative
corner locations by trial and error.

What I'm asking for here is some help in working out how to teach PMX to
automagically select all of the necessary parameters, using info buried in
musixtex. I'm thinking the insertion point should probably come at the right
barline, so musixtex knows where it is and can work backwards from there to
the previous barline to get the width of the measure. Horizontally, the
insertion point should probably be at the bottom of the lowest staff (as in
my earlier example). I'd then need to know how to calculate the vertical
distance from there to the top line of the top staff using musixtex
parameters.

If anyone cares to tackle this, the best way to communicate it would be to
generate a musixtex file from a PMX file, then provide a manually doctored
tex file, or maybe use inline tex in the PMX file.

--Don