The scope within which \ds is visible is \beginstaff ... \endstaff,
whereas \qs etc are globally visible. I can only imagine that Daniel
wished to avoid a conflict with another macro package that defines a
totally different \ds and that some users of MusiXTeX might have
preloaded. It may have been an older version of LaTeX; the current
version has a macro \ds@, but I am guessing.