On 05/11/2018 08.40, Dirk Laurie wrote:
Op Sa., 3 Nov. 2018 om 21:24 het Don Simons <dsim...@roadrunner.com> geskryf:

But PMX is freeware, and if anyone else wants to dig into the source code
and work something out (like Dirk did once long ago for an alternate tie
notation), I'd be glad to do what I can to help.

Well, I'll report progress in small steps and you can at any stage
weigh in with a comment :-) It will be the first Fortran I write since
that "once long ago".

There are four comments in the "To do" section: I do not intend giving
any attention to those.

I have split pmx287.for into 130 pieces (one program, one blockdata,
about 30 functions, about 100 subroutines) and classified those by
doing 'wc' on non-comment lines containing the case-insensitive string
MIDI. The three numbers count lines, words and characters.

addmidi.for 54 161 2453
chkimidi.for 11 35 515
docrd.for 14 39 711
dopsslur.for 15 46 822
doslur.for 15 42 783
g1etnote.for 14 52 664
g1etset.for 2 6 60
getmidi.for 63 263 3343
getnote.for 16 44 728
getset.for 2 6 58
igetvarlen.for 4 9 195
make1bar.for 8 18 353
make2bar.for 18 46 840
midievent.for 32 90 1480
pmxab.for 28 76 1210
pmxb.for 14 32 634
writemidi.for 35 89 1777

The MUP engraving software supports change of instrument, tempo, amplitude etc on any note. MUP is open source, so you might (or might not) find inspiration for your task in the c source files. The files are reasonably named so it should be possible to dive into the MIDI specific areas of the MUP code.

MUP source files are available as

ftp://ftp.arkkra.com/pub/unix/mup66src.tar.gz

Greetings
--
Christian Mondrup
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive