Hi Don,

I just found that the difference between \hb and \qb is only
specifying the character number assignment of notehead.
\hb delegates all the further algorithm to \@qb, just like \qb does.

====
\def\qb{\q@symbol\@qb}
\def\qbp{\q@symbol\@qbp}
\def\qbpp{\q@symbol\@qbpp}

\def\hb{\h@symbol\@qb}

\def\h@symbol{\def\q@u{\musixfont\@ight}}
\def\q@symbol{\def\q@u{\musixfont\s@v@n}}
====

That means - although I don't make any test at all and I'm afraid
I can't understand enough what you are desiring - I guess that just
following definitions will do what you desire:

====
\makeatletter
\def\hbp{\h@symbol\@qbp}
\def\hbpp{\h@symbol\@qbpp}
\makeatother
====

I should say sorry if my guess is wrong.

regards,
Hiroaki