Den 13.04.2020 kl. 15.08 skrev Bob Tennent:
TeXLive 2020 has been officially released. It is not possible to upgrade an earlier version but TeXLive 2020 can be installed in parallel with an older version.

The 2020 release provides

musixtex (1.30) pmx (2.94 2020-03-20) M-Tx (0.63c) autosp (2019-12-22)

for 16 platforms, including MacOSX and Windows (but Windows users
may find MiKTeX to be more convenient).

You can find installation instructions at WIMA:

http://icking-music-archive.org/software/htdocs/Getting_Started_Four_Scenar.html

To delete an existing TeXLive installation

tlmgr remove -all

Thank you so much, Bob, for your thorough explanation of the
installation procedure.

Maybe my question is too technical. I ask on the list anyway.

Among the new tlmgr features is

New option tlmgr check texmfdbs, to to check consistency of ls-R
files and !! specifications for each tree

(see https://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#news)

I took the opportunity to check the validity of my own TeX setup and
was made aware of a flaw: my TEXMFHOME was

'in TEXMF not in TEXMFDBS, but has ls-R file'.

So I checked the variable TEXMFDBS in
<root>/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf and realized that my
TEXMFHOME was not reflected. I'm a little surprised because I did
specify my TEXMFHOME when I started installing texlive-2020.

My workaround was to copy the assignment of TEXMFDBS to
<root>/texlive/texmf.cnf and add my TEXMFHOME

TEXMFDBS =
{!!$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFDIST}

This solved the problem. But the idea of my local texmf.cnf is that it

'should contain only your personal changes from the original texmf.cnf'

Could I have added my TEXMFHOME to TEXMFDBS otherwise, ie. without
repeating the already existing assignment?

Best regards
--
Christian Mondrup
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive