On 8/21/2020 3:40 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

After changing the command and adding "mathml", now some
of my latex files no longer compile.

Please see this MWE

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
$n^\text{th}$
\end{document}

$n^\text{th}$ is wrong, unsupported syntax. It works (sometimes) but only by
chance. The correct latex input if you have more than one token in a
superscript or subscript is to add additional braces:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
$n^{\text{th}}$
\end{document}

With them your example compiles.

I see. But I did not not write this latex. It seems to work OK in mathjax.

This is how the latex came from a Mathematica newsletter which is emailed each
week.

Which I tried to compile. The original message itself which had this latex in
it this
one:

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/154944/finding-n-textth-largest-smallest-element

Viewing the page source, it shows

=========
<head>
<title>list manipulation - Finding $n^\text{th}$ largest/smallest element -
Mathematica Stack Exchange</title>
=======

It is the title of the above message.

This is how the latex came in email to me from stackexchange.

But I corrected it now. It used to  compile OK before using mathml.

Best,
--Nasser