New survey project starting up! Here’s your chance to get
underground and help produce a lasting piece of documentation for the Sandia
Grotto and the Zia Pueblo. The Sandia Grotto, in cooperation with the Zia
Pueblo, will be starting the Alabaster Cave Survey Project with the goal of
resurveying the cave in more detail and higher precision than the previous
maps, as well as survey areas not on the older maps. We will also be
documenting macrobiology, water levels, cave temperatures, flooding occurrences
and graffiti. The project starts on Tuesday, June 10th from 4 PM to 7 PM with
beers and appetizers at Turtle Mountain Brewery in Rio Rancho afterwards. The
project will continue on the second Tuesday of the month from 4 to 7 PM, meet
at the parking area on SR-550. Project dates and times may evolve as the
project progresses based on the number of participants and availability of
project coordinators.  This is an
excellent chance to learn how to survey if you don’t know how, we will teach
you!!  Let the project coordinators know
you’re coming, either email your response to dave.dec...@caves.org or respond
to the
project announcement on Facebook. Sorry for duplicate messages, just trying to
get the word out! Dave Decker