Hi Preston,

In answer to your question:  "Is the last name, Cave, common?"

I did a quick check on Ancestry.com and saw that there were 1,566,853 entries
for the name Cave. That, of course, doesn't mean that many individuals by the
name Cave, but includes every place that the name is mentioned in every
document in their database; includes things like birth and death certs, wills,
immigration and other public records, family trees, military records, prison
and orphanage records, mentions in newspapers and other publications, et al. My
own family has multiple entries for each family member. Could even include a
few "real underground, geological anomalies." They rarely have records on live
people because of potential legal issues. In the family trees online, live
people are generally referred to as "unlisted." Censuses through 1940 can now
be viewed online. The next census (1950) will not be out for 70 years. If
someone is interested and does not have personal access to Ancestry.com or one
of the other genealogical sites, they can go to their nearest Morman "Family
History Library" and use their facilities free of charge. I've found the people
who work there very accommodating.

How do I know these things? I've been working on my family history for over 20
years.

Good luck, Louise